Week 98: Tic Tac Toe

We had a pretty busy week this week. Because of the recent rain there are a ton of weeds in everyone's yards so we have become Hesperia's number one landscaping crew. 

So on Wednesday we had a pretty exciting 15 minutes. Story time:
We decided to try someone that had been taught in the past. We get to the house and start walking towards the front door. We spot a kid that's looking at us through the side chain link fence and is quickly accompanied by a German Sheppard. The kid lets himself out before the dog can get out and points us to the front door and tells us "inside". The child then decides to try and get back into the fence at which point the German Sheppard and a Husky bolt past him. My companion is out of there and already at the truck while I just stare at the multi-colored Husky eyes coming in hot to obliterate me. I close my eyes and accept my fate and when I look down I see the dogs smell my feet before they start booking it down the road. The guy comes out and we say hi and then he says his wife is the only person the dogs come to and that she's going to try and track them down so we offer to help. We jump back in the truck and make one feeble attempt at blocking their path and they easily go around and continue down the street. We follow them in the truck and then they head into a yard and that's when the wife comes flying halfway into the yard nearly taking out the neighbors fence in a blocking move that was worthy of an episode of COPS. Well they keep getting away until they make their mistake. They wander into a yard that has a fence and only two openings. As soon as they walked in there she took the second entrance and blocked it with her car and we blocked the second one with the truck. Some pretty good teamwork to get the dogs into her car and back into the backyard. It was quite the exhilarating few minutes.

We also had the great privilege of driving around a for a few hours on Saturday delivering insurance cards for everyone's cars. The first stop was for the companionship further away. It was an hour drive just to get there but of course I wasn't complaining one bit. On the way back we took a road that I had driven every day in my first area and it was quite the throwback. Can't believe that I was there over 20 months ago, the time sure has flown. 

Yesterday it finally happened. The Mendoza family finally came to church!!!!!!!!!!!
They've been worried about being loud and being a disturbance so I did my dang best to make sure that they felt welcomed. About 9 minutes into being there they all ended up in the foyer which is fine. I played a good share of tic tac toe games with the 7 year old daughter. They were in the chapel for the sacrament and that's the most important part anyways. While they were out there they asked how the could donate. They specifically asked how they could help us missionaries so we showed them how to fill out the donation slip. It was pretty amazing to see them donate a pretty good amount of money even though they're living from paycheck to paycheck in a double wide trailer. I think the Bishop was surprised and pleased when they came up and gave him three envelopes. The Ibarra's also came to church. As soon as the closing prayer was said they were halfway out of the door and I ran across the chapel while Elder Melville tried to get the bishop to the Mendozas so he could meet them. Overall it was the day I've been waiting for for two months.

I am really excited to see conference this next weekend and I hope everyone is doing something to prepare for it! Love you all!

Love,
Elder Puzey: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Stay Safe

Week 35: Missionary work and mechanic work

Week 85: That week between Christmas and New Years when you don't know what day it is