Week 1: World War

The first day at the MTC feels like you're in a tornado with whirlwinds and shafts in the whirlwinds. It's fast paced and everything is new. Luckily there is always someone to point you in the right direction. Not even 20 minutes being here and our new district is in the classroom which is where we meet our companions for the first time. My companion is Elder Jensen who is from Bountiful and spent a year at Utah State. The other two elders are our roommates for our stay at the MTC. I'll save y'all the boring information about our time in the classroom and just get to the good stuff.

The story behind the title originates on the first floor of our residence building. That is where all of the language missionaries are staying so many of them have been there for nine weeks and some even up to twelve. When we first moved in one of the elders on our floor lead us to the first floor to get drinks from the vending machine. He told us to prepare for the "World War". On Saturday night as soon as we decide to shut the light off and get quiet to sleep we hear a cow bell ringing and war cries echoing through our hallway which is impressive because we are on the third floor. On Monday Elder Jensen and I were heading back to our room and we met two elders exiting the building. We got to talking and soon learned that they had been staying on the first floor for nine weeks and were finally heading out. We mentioned that we had heard a cow bell the other night and it was actually the cow bell of one of the elders that was leaving so I guess we won't be having any more cow bell action for the rest of our stay.

Our departure date is June 5th which we have learned is the day that they start using the new MTC so that should be exciting for anyone that isn't us. But it doesn't matter which building we're in because the MTC is awesome. It is hard like everyone told me it would be, but every time I step out of a lesson with an investigator I know why I am here and why I'll be spending two years in California. The missionary purpose begins with inviting others unto Christ and that is exactly what we are doing. We aren't converting and we aren't baptizing, we are inviting people to learn more about their loving Father in Heaven and their best friend Jesus Christ. I have a testimony of this work and know that whoever draws nearer unto Christ will be blessed. 

Sunday night was one of my favorite nights so far. We watched an MTC devotional given by Elder Bednar some years ago called "The Character of Christ". It hasn't been released yet but it needs to be because it's amazing and I want all of you to watch it. The basic message is that someone that has the character of Christ is able to look outward when the natural man would look inward. When other's would be selfish Christ would look to help others. After Christ suffered for all of the sins of the world and bled from every pore because of how physically demanding the burden was (Please read Alma 7:11-13 which is now one of my favorite scriptures) He was betrayed by one of His twelve apostles. After these amazing trials the natural man would have looked in and said look at all of the things I'm going through, look at what I just accomplished. But Christ looked outward. He healed the guards ear that was smote off and when He was put on the cross He said Father forgive them. Just before dying Christ instructed how His mother was to be taken care of. I have a testimony that Jesus Christ was perfect and suffered for not only all of our sins, but also all the things we feel when we are lonely, sad, depressed or discouraged. Not everyone knows what you're going through or how you feel but I know that He does. He lives and loves you. I challenge all of you to look outwards when the natural man in you would look inwards and I promise blessings will abound in your life. I invited all of you to come closer to Jesus Christ and His gospel. 

Love and miss you all!
(Mom I guess since I just saw you I miss you a little less than everyone else ;)

P.S
Just kidding mom please continue helping me pay for my mission.

Love Elder Puzey
Elder Puzey, Elder Miller, Elder Jensen and Elder Anderson
Classroom Pic
Trip to the temple with the branch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Stay Safe

Week 35: Missionary work and mechanic work

Week 85: That week between Christmas and New Years when you don't know what day it is